Monday, September 10, 2007

The beginning of a book

I've asked 30 women who I respect a great deal to give me a 3-4 page description of who they really are and to make it fun. All of these women are well traveled and accomplished in their own right. As I begin a book that I've wanted to write for awhile, I asked them a series of questions that will shape the anthology of "You Go Girl." The book will not be about trip details but rather the philosophies of me and these women and of why travel is such an important part of our lives. Why can some people move or travel at the drop of a hat and others never leave their home town? Is it nature or nurture? Is this quest in our DNA?

-Where have you traveled in your lifetime? Have you reached all seven continents? If this is a goal, why?
-Why did you travel or relocate? (eg life transition, personal interest, family, job, college, engagement, personal goals, life curiosity, medical care, taking care of a parent)
-What revelation about yourself did you experience in your travels?
-What lesson(s) did you take away?
-How easily did you adjust/assimilate/fit in? Did you set out with the intention to do so?
-How did you include the local people/culture into her travels?
-What are 1-3 funny experiences that you had in your travels?
-What one realization did you have about a culture that you visited?
-What one thing did you change in yourself as a result of the travel experience(s)?
-How did major life events or world history (9/11) shape or reshape your perspective of travel and of life in general?

I'll answer these questions personally in another post.

1 comment:

KelleeJohnson said...

Today I hiked with two "diva" girlfriends in Ft. Sheridan outside Chicago. We are preparing to hike in Cuzco and Machu Pichu in late October. This time Backroads is making it happen for us. Today I bought trekking poles, decided that all bikes and hikes on the trip will be the longest option each day. We want to stay fit during the vaca. I can't wait to try the Peruvian ceviche. Until then, it's back to the East Bank Club each day to the stair climber on level 8 for 45 minutes.
You Go Girl